jump to navigation

The Normandy Commission Complete *Updated* April 2, 2022

Posted by Jason Bergunder in Other, Painting, StaticGrass Creations, Streaming.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
add a comment

Could this be it? The Normandy is complete? The detailing ended up being the red windows along the middle of the hull and the black lines all across the hull to make it looks like the ship has armour panels. I tried to slightly shade within those panels to make them look a bit 3D rather than lines I painted on after blocking in the main colours.

I added intake ports on the top and bottom of the ship, I assume they are some kind of intake port. Since they aren’t part of the printed model, I needed to paint them on freehand. Though I made a stencil to use for each one to make them as similar as possible. Hopefully they come out a bit 3D looking.

The stand is another 3D printed piece with a magnet in it. I painted it black so it might blend in with space backgrounds.

I was asked to add some lettering to the engines for some last details. Now I will be sealing this model for protection and sending it to its forever home.

The Normandy Commission Update #2 – Colours  March 17, 2022

Posted by Jason Bergunder in Painting, StaticGrass Creations, Streaming.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
add a comment

The next step on the Normandy is in progress. I have finally gotten the yellow strips to where I want them. I spent a painting session adding in the red squares for the window lights. I will be brightening the windows to yellow or orange and then bring it back with a few washes. I want the red glow to be much darker and the pin pricks of light to really stand out.

The Normandy Commission Update #1 – Masking March 1, 2022

Posted by Jason Bergunder in Painting, StaticGrass Creations, Streaming.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
add a comment

This is one of the larger models I have gotten the chance to work with. First rounds of cleaning was a lot of sanding and adding a bit of filler to get those striations as minimal as I can. After that, I primed the model in black and white, in generally the areas I wanted. There are a lot of angles in the design of the colour scheme for the Normandy, so masking was necessary. I did the black first, so now I’m masking that to do the white.

The scheme with the yellow splashes has more of a warmer white, so I will be going for that when I build up the layers. I have to admit, I made a mistake in doing the yellow strip in the front. It’s supposed to zig and zag, but I only made it zag. I will have it fixed after I finish the white.