jump to navigation

Horus Heresy Space Marines, Orks, and Mechanicum Commission Update #8 – More Termites December 15, 2020

Posted by Jason Bergunder in Army building, Games Workshop, horus heresy, Mechanicum, mechanicus, Painting, StaticGrass Creations, Streaming, warhammer 40k.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,
1 comment so far

The last 2 Termite Drills are done! Split into a yellow one and red one like the half termites. They are still dirty as if they just came out of the ground.

The yellow one is the one that got its insides painted and the doors left opened.

The red one had a door that was missing, so I had to cast it in greenstuff. It came out with a bit of a flaw so I decided to paint that part of the door as heat stressed and it kind of looks warped. So I think it works! There is a some burnt paint as well with a bit of beveling so it kind of looks like it has some depth to it.

All the termites have Volkite weapons equipped and in relatively pristine condition since they hide in their compartments.

This is the last of the first half of the commission. The next half is all jetbikes and marines. Exciting!

Horus Heresy Space Marines, Orks, and Mechanicum Commission Update #6 – Termite Halves November 29, 2020

Posted by Jason Bergunder in Army building, Converting, Games Workshop, horus heresy, Mechanicum, mechanicus, Painting, StaticGrass Creations, Streaming, warhammer 40k.
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
add a comment

A couple of Termite Drill halves are done. I did the different colours of the army, Yellow and Red. Slicing Forgeworld models in half is a bit scary at first, but then the bloodthirst sets in and before you know it, resin dust is all over you and there are two halves sitting on the table.

There was a bit of work done to build up the dirt around the hulls too. So it looks like the dirt is being displaced by the Termites going into or out of the ground. I’m particularly pleased with the Termite going into the ground, where the dirt is welling up like a wave in the front. I even used 4 different materials.

Slate pieces and small gravel were used to build up the bulk of the dirt due to the sizes. Small ballast mixed with small pebbles formed the majority of what is covering the base. And finally, fine sand was added to the edges and corners on the tracks and hull so it looks like some is sticking to the vehicle.

I tried to get the weathering a bit more realistic. The Termite coming out has a lot of dirt all over, where the drill going into the ground has more dirt and mud concentrated to the front. The little gun ports on the red Termite are left quite clean since it opens and closes at will, so little dirt would probably get on the guns.

There are two more to go and will also be red and yellow, though they will be full Termites. One of them will have open doors.